The James River Home School Foundation, a 100% volunteer-run Christian ministry, was incorporated in the summer of 2009, as a nonprofit entity with the goal and purpose of supporting the home school community by offering programs and opportunities in the areas of academics, athletics and performing arts. We've offered numerous athletic teams as the James River Eagles, academic classes, as well as the three-tiered drama program, CounterACT, founded and directed by home school graduate Georgianna Mills.
Top Accomplishments for the Past Year:
- Provided over 100 home schooled students the opportunity to compete in interscholastic athletics.
- Added boys volleyball, and offering boys soccer, and girls and boys cross country teams.
- Creation and implementation of a new website designed to be visually appealing, informative, and practical.
- Purchase and deployment of a new, more efficient management and communication system for our teams, players and coaches.
- Players With a Purpose, a ministry outreach of our Eagles Basketball program, which grew from concept to reality thanks to the hard work of many youth and adult volunteers, ministered to over 150 at-risk youth.
Top Six Goals for the Upcoming year:
- Continue to expand and develop our sports program and offerings.
- Establish a Physical Education class/program for home schooled students.
- Refine and further develop the academy, support group, and the library.
- Find and secure better facilities for all our programs.
- Continue to expand and develop the Players With a Purpose ministry, partnering with other faith based organizations, so that we might better serve the at-risk children in the communities locally and out-of-state.
- Promote home education to the community at-large as a realistic, beneficial alternative to public or private schools.
- Monetary Donations: Facilities, program, and promotional costs are constant and consume our more sporadic/seasonal income stream
- Volunteer staff: needed to expand various programs within the organization to meet the growing needs of the organization
- Gym space in Chesterfield County
- Volunteer leaders - people with vision and time/connections to make our organization better
- Knowledgeable and caring coaches
a full service building, preferably in central Chesterfield County that could house/host all or most of our academic, arts, and athletic activities.
As we enter our seventh year, we are embarking on our most ambitious slate of activities ever. With homeschooling on the rise, and as we grow and offer more programs to more families, we are finding that identifying and securing facilities to accommodate those programs is becoming a real challenge and our biggest limitation to offering more opportunities to more home schooling families. When the Lord prompted us to start this ministry, we were reminded of what D.L. Moody once said, "If God is your partner, make your plans big!"
One of our organizations stated goals from the very beginning was to eventually acquire or build a multi-purpose building to serve the needs of the home school community, house our various activities, and minister to the community at large, and we determined early on that this would be our "BHAG" - Big Heavenly Audacious Goal! An opportunity now exists that makes that prospect a far more realistic possibility, far sooner than we ever dreamed...a facility that could meet all our immediate needs is now available on the market...